R: Some help needed to install Lenny on the Intel SS4000-E nas

> Hello Andrea,
>

> > I am still concerned about speed, becouse I am not able to go
> > further about 4,3 MB/sec via nfs
>
> Well, it's already better than the 2.5 (m/l) that I have had whith the
> original software ;)

of course, original software is totally useless !!!!
That's way I spent a lot of time doing that job !!!!!

> But, if I can, some questions regarding this speed :
>
> - it's on on a RAID5 partition, I suppose ?

No, it is on a 1.8 TB stripe set

/dev/sda1             9.7G  1.2G  8.0G  13% /
tmpfs                 252M     0  252M   0% /lib/init/rw
udev                   10M  100K   10M   1% /dev
tmpfs                 252M  4.0K  252M   1% /dev/shm
/dev/md0              1.8T  1.5T  243G  86% /storage
/dev/sde1             299G  299G     0 100% /mnt/usbdisk

> - whith the nfs-kernel-server or a user space one ?
nfs-kernel-server

> - on tcp or udp ?
tcp

> - and have you tried with the 'async' nfs option ?
no, I Don't; it is:
/storage           *(rw,no_subtree_check,sync,no_root_squash)

> - also, have you tried ftp and rsync ?

I don't use ftp.

I am using rsync "internally", to sync the /dev/sda1 with
/dev/sdb1
/dev/sdc1
/dev/sdd1

actually I have root on sda1 sync-ed with corresponding partitions on b,c and d
swap on sda2
then I have linux raid 0 on th 4 remaining partitions (sda3, sdb2, sdc2, sdd2)

Internal cp command from one partition to the other doesn't pass 10 MB/sec

> Thank you for your instructions, but since this machine is now
> supported by the d-i, it's seems a lot easier than cross compiling
> etc.
ok !

> > I am not a linux expert at all
>
> Neither me... TBH, I'm not confident I could have taken your road ;)
>

> > so it costs me a lot of fighting, especially to get the "right"
> > serial cable
>
> Yes, me too ! It seems easy, but it's only with the third one found in
> the "IT atic Museum" that I succeeded. With the first two, I got only
> garbage in minicom...

I had to cut a standard cable and reconnect the pin in the rigth order.

> > and to "arrange" the SS4000 envelope in order to make
> > available an external serial connector.
>
> Did you cut a hole in the casing for the serial connector ?
Yes, I did

> Was it easy ? Some advice to do so ? :-)

It wasn't so difficout; I have that hole in the top of the NAS, with the serial
internal flat cable going down till the onboard connector. The cable has to be
the right length, in order to let you open and close the NAS without too much problems...
I used a very old external serial board.