Re: R: Some help needed to install Lenny on the Intel SS4000-E nas

Hi,

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 10:50:00AM +0200, Andrea Lanza wrote:

> No, it is on a 1.8 TB stripe set

Stripe ? It's RAID0 ?

> > - and have you tried with the 'async' nfs option ?
> no, I Don't; it is:
> /storage           *(rw,no_subtree_check,sync,no_root_squash)

Could you please try at the occasion ?

Just to see if it makes a difference...

Normaly, async boost the nfs perfs !

I can be bad, I kown, but it's to compare apples with apples as the
original software was also using it.

> Internal cp command from one partition to the other doesn't pass 10
> MB/sec

It's not very amazing, isn't it ? I can't understand what limits this
box like this ? I found it rather well designed and sturdy, but why is
it so poor in the performance area ? Isn't a 400 Mhz CPU plenty of
power just to copy and move files on disks ? (I don't even speak of
RAID5 parity calculations.)

Or can't simply an ARM board be compared to an i386, and in this case,
why ?

Theses questions are perhaps candid, but I like to understand
nevertheless.

[hole cut in the casing]

> > Was it easy ? Some advice to do so ? :-)
> >
> It wasn't so difficout; I have that hole in the top of the NAS,

Of course ;)

I have inspected just the back, but haven't found any suitable
place...

Thanks for your message,

--

J.-F. STRAETEN