Re: upgrade debian kernel on nslu2

En/na Martin Michlmayr ha escrit:
* Xan <DXpublica@telefonica.net> [2007-07-30 11:53]:
Steps are:
1) apt-get install linux-image-ipx4xx
2) [make menuinstall?]
3) [put the new kernel in boot loader?]

You can skip 2 and 3.  Installing a kernel .deb will automatically put
the new kernel into flash.

Skipping 2 and 3, how can I select the options I want in new kernel (for example more modules that I have)?

Sorry but I only compile kernel by hand not .deb kernels.

I'm not sure what you mean about putting the kernel in the boot
loader.

The kernel is written to a partition in flash where the boot loader
looks for it.  You don't need to do anything to the boot loader or
boot loader environment to use a new kernel.
Yes. By "putting the kernel in the boot loader" I mean the process of
what the slug boots the new compiled kernel instead of old.

You mean flash memory, not boot loader.  In any case, your slug is
configured in a way that a newly installed kernel (assuming you
install a .deb and not a kernel by hand) will automatically write the
kernel to flash.  You don't need to do anything - only reboot after
the upgrade is done.

Okay.

Can you clarify me?
What's the simplest way to update the new kernel? Is it necessary to
have gcc installed in slug?. When we have compiled new kernel how to
substitute the old one? And how to delete the old kernel from slug?

You don't need gcc if you merely want to install a kernel .deb package
from the archive.  You only need gcc if you want to compile your own
kernel, but there's no reason to do this.  Installing a new kernel
will automatically replace the current kernel with the new one in
flash.

Okay.
So my only doubt is what I pointed: if I do "apt-get install [new kernel]", where or how can I select the options (modules)? If I want to patch the kernel (with grsec patches), how do I should do that?

Thanks in advance, Martin,
Xan.