Re: upgrade debian kernel on nslu2

* Xan <DXpublica@telefonica.net> [2007-07-30 11:53]:
> >>Steps are:
> >>1) apt-get install linux-image-ipx4xx
> >>2) [make menuinstall?]
> >>3) [put the new kernel in boot loader?]

You can skip 2 and 3.  Installing a kernel .deb will automatically put
the new kernel into flash.

> >I'm not sure what you mean about putting the kernel in the boot
> >loader.
> >
> >The kernel is written to a partition in flash where the boot loader
> >looks for it.  You don't need to do anything to the boot loader or
> >boot loader environment to use a new kernel.
>
> Yes. By "putting the kernel in the boot loader" I mean the process of
> what the slug boots the new compiled kernel instead of old.

You mean flash memory, not boot loader.  In any case, your slug is
configured in a way that a newly installed kernel (assuming you
install a .deb and not a kernel by hand) will automatically write the
kernel to flash.  You don't need to do anything - only reboot after
the upgrade is done.

> Can you clarify me?
> What's the simplest way to update the new kernel? Is it necessary to
> have gcc installed in slug?. When we have compiled new kernel how to
> substitute the old one? And how to delete the old kernel from slug?

You don't need gcc if you merely want to install a kernel .deb package
from the archive.  You only need gcc if you want to compile your own
kernel, but there's no reason to do this.  Installing a new kernel
will automatically replace the current kernel with the new one in
flash.
--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/