upgrade debian kernel on nslu2

Hello all,

Last week I bought a NSLU2, and I installed Debian on it as described
in http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/.

Now I want to install a new kernel on my slug, and I have a couple of
questions.  In the docs (http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/
upgrade.html) I read that redboot calls apex, and apex boots linux.

If I create a new kernel and initrd, and I adapt the symbolic links
vmlinuz and initrd, will the new kernel be booted?

Or should I create a deb-package? Suppose I build a linux-
image-....deb package as described in http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/BuildImage.
Is it sufficient to install this package using dpkg for the new kernel
to be used? Or are additional steps required?

Any hints about upgrading my kernel are appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Johan