Re: Installing debian on N2100

Andrew Haswell wrote:
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Winters" <john@sinodun.org.uk>
Andrew Haswell wrote:
[snip]
can you give me some advice as to what partitions to create, can i get away with just root and swap or is it worth considering more granularity.

I will install Debian on 1 HDD to start and add the other in after, mirror the debian partitions, then create data partitions.

How big are your hard discs?

> I've got 2x 500GB Seagate Drives in it at the moment, i doubt i will
> ever do anything particularly taxing with it on the linux side, will
> probably use it for a LAMP type install, samba, then usual media
> software.

I'd probably go for some variation on my usual set-up there. A 10G partition on each disc, RAIDed with RAID1 for /. Then perhaps a 1G partition on each, again RAID1, for swap. Then put the whole of the rest of each disc into a single large partition, again RAID1, but use the resulting device as a physical volume for LVM and allocate LVs from that as needed.

HTH
John