Re: Installing debian on N2100

On Thu, Dec 13, 2007 at 07:57:53PM -0000, Andrew Haswell wrote:
> I've been waiting to see if the installer will get fixed so i can install
> Debian on my Thecus n2100. My skillset is wintel based not Linux which is
> to say that i am highly technical and i would like to use my n2100 to cross
> train. As the installer doesnt seem to be getting fixed, can anyone advise
> me whether i should attempt the work around or not? Ive got the latest
> firmware on the thecus and can ssh into the box. I would like to get debian
> on it and then use LVM to raid 1 a portion of the disk for data protection
> including the debian mount points. And from there learn Debian in more
> detail.

My understanding is that the only problem with the installer is that it
has to be manually told which kernel to use, which can be done by either
starting the installer in expert mode or at least telling it to run with
debconf priority of low which will make it ask which kernel to use.  I
haven't done it (my arm system doesn't have any way to use the debian
installer, so I had to create a chroot with debootstrap and switch to
it).

> I would like to do this as a project over christmas, im just worried about
> getting stranded. Advice greatfully received.

Doing raid1 between two partitions (I have never done raid on top of
LVM, only LVM on raid) on the same disk offers essentially no protection
at all.  Data loss due to sectors going bad is far less common than data
loss due to the drive failing entirely.  It will also cause a severe
performance hit since you will be doing constant seeks to try and access
both parts whenever you are writing.  So overall a very very bad idea.
Disks are cheap, use two.

--
Len Sorensen