Re: How to change the kernel command line for the NSLU2

Hi Xan

On 5/14/07, Xan <DXpublica@telefonica.net> wrote:

Clear me. I understand that after I installed debian with the debian
installer for passing new parameters to the kernel I have to:

1) do what with [1]. And how?
2) Run apexctl?
3) Reboot?

The instructions are on the wiki page:

<quote>

To replace the Debian etch APEX copy, download
etch-modified-mtdblock2.bin, and copy it to your NSLU2. You may want
to make a backup of you current flash at this stage (see the
NSLU2/Debian FAQ). Then do

 $ su -c 'cat etch-modified-mtdblock2.bin > /dev/mtdblock2'

to overwrite the existing copy of APEX in the NSLU2 flash.

Check that your APEX configuration matches the one listed above by doing

 $ sudo apex-env printenv

If it does, you should be able to change the kernel command line
stored in the APEX configuration environment by by doing

 $ sudo apex-env setenv 'console=ttyS0,115200 rtc-x1205.probe=0,0x6f
noirqdebug'

You can add any additional kernel options you want to set, e.g.
'rootdelay=10' to the end of the kernel command line.

See 'apex-env --help' or 'man apex-env' for more information.

</quote>

Once you have once this procedure, apexctl will be able to modify the
APEX configuration environment. The kernel command line is stored in
this environment.

Note that you *only* need to do this procedure if you _want_ to modify
the kernel command line.

Once you have modified the kernel command line, you'll have to reboot
to load the kernel with the new kernel options. If anything goes
wrong, and your NSLU2 does not boot, then use upslug2 to write the
backup copy of your flash image to your NSLU2 (see the start of the
instructions above) to get a working system again. The procedure for
making a backup of your existing flash is described in the FAQ [2].

Does this help?

Gordon

[2] http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Debian/FAQ

--