Re: RAID1 root on nslu2

Gordon

Thanks for your response.

On 13th May 2007 Gordon Farquharson <gordonfarquharson@gmail.com> wrote

>Yes, you would have to do this when transitioning from a root disk on
>non RAID device to a RAID device. The instructions on the wiki were
>written for installing Debian, but they should probably be extended to
>the case of transitioning root devices, because the instructions are
>pretty similar.

Yes you're correct I was attempting to transition to a RAID 1 root device.

>I'm not following. You say that your RAID device is mounted as root
>(which sounds like what you want). In what way is your old root device
>still in use? You can't have two devices mounted as root.

What I was referring to here was that when I ran mount with no parameters
it showed that /dev/md5 was mounted as /. However some quick tests showed
that actually the root filesystem was /dev/sda1. I don't know how
to explain this but this is what it did...

I then realised that the configuration for the root device must be in flash
somewhere, so I thought I'd try flash-kernel to update the kernel and
initramfs. (BTW how does it know what to mount as the root file system? I
assumed that doing update-initramfs read the /etc/fstab and stored it
somewhere??).

Anyway the result was that the device then failed to boot and so I reflashed
a virgin etch flash image :-

(http://cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/files/sda1-2.6.18.dfsg.1-12.bin)

That's where I'm currently at...

I haven't checked yet but would the flash-kernel overwrite the change
to the root delay in the apex environment?

Regards

Stephen Fry