NSLU2 D-I RC2, installation oddities, apt-get update error

On my NSLU2, I've been running DI since RC1, and recently upgraded to
D-I RC2, using the instructions here:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

I have a serial console, and did the install through that.  I also did
the installer image install via Redboot/TFTP.
After booting, I go through the menu options, etc. and partitioning.  I
notice that the first hard drive shown during install is sdb, whereas
the second is sda.  After install, I had to switch the USB cables
around, because it was trying to boot from the drive that the install
had marked as sdb (weird).

When logging in as root for the first time, I have to change the root
password to something other than what I chose during the install.  That
seems a little redundant.

Now, when I do "apt-get update" as root, I get this weird error:

W: GPG error: http://security.debian.org etch/updates Release: Unknown
error executing gpgv
W: GPG error: http://mirrors.kernel.org etch Release: Unknown error
executing gpgv

NSLU2:/# which gpgv
/usr/bin/gpgv
running with argument "--version" shows 1.4.6.