Re: howto install debian on netwinder?

Philip Blundell wrote:

Is it possible to "build" NeTTrom from "source" using available Debian tools?

I don't know. I've never seen any source to NeTTrom, but I guess it must be at least partially under the GPL. Maybe Rod will enlighten us.

Either that or it could go into non-free...

its own package. After all, we want a complete free system, right? I'm not sure I understand your hesitation to have a NeTTrom package...

It just doesn't seem to me that having it packaged buys you much. A nettrom package would be no use after it had been initially installed, so the only advantage is the marginal benefit of being able to upgrade it with apt-get rather than needing to download the image and manually write it. Given that updating the firmware is a slightly hazardous operation, I don't really want to make it happen automatically.

I see, that makes sense. But it would be nice to be able to say, for example, "kernel-image-2.4.6-netwinder Depends: nettrom (>= 2.3.3)", to avoid the confusion of "Why doesn't this work?" I suppose it should come with a debconf warning: "You have downloaded a new NeTTrom, but it won't be installed automatically. To do so, do XXX, and beware!" or "To do so, see URL http://netwinder.org/foo";.

P.S. Thanks for the new portmap, and Tor, thanks for fixing those bugs!
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>