Re: howto install debian on netwinder?

Philip Blundell wrote:

What are the prospects of putting NeTTrom into nwutil (or, maybe, addressing bugs 86225 and 86192)? This might or might not help with the initial install, but would make life a lot easier for people upgrading to new kernels...

Dunno, you'd have to ask the nwutil maintainer. I personally don't really think that NeTTrom itself belongs in that package (or indeed in any package, come to that). So long as the kernel supports nwflash - which it does, as far as I know - and we ship flashwrite somewhere, people should be able to download the firmware from netwinder.org for themselves.

Sure. 86225 has two parts: the "please include NeTTrom" is wishlist, the "fix the broken flashwrite!" is important. (Maybe the former should be a separate bug, or should be reassigned as an RFP against wnpp...)

Is it possible to "build" NeTTrom from "source" using available Debian tools? If so, it seems like it would be appropriate for some package, either in the grab-bag for NW-specific software called "nwutil", or in its own package. After all, we want a complete free system, right? I'm not sure I understand your hesitation to have a NeTTrom package...

OTOH, if we want "something which installs on any Netwinder", then the install should probably have a kernel which boots from old NeTTrom, and supports flashwriting the new one, with NeTTrom available for flashwriting.

Okay, I think you get the idea, I'll stop rambling.

Zeen,
--

-Adam P.

Welcome to the best software in the world today cafe! <http://lyre.mit.edu/%7Epowell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg>