Re: X Working!

> >I am still unable to get ssh to work.  Complains about controling tty.

This is a configure problem.  I can't remember the details, but I believe
undefining some ?_PTYS define in config.h will allow SSH to build and run.
Ralph would know better.  I'll see what I can find out when he gets in.

> >Lastly, gnome-panel refuses to run with some strange dynamic loader
> >error in the IIOP library about not being able to translate to a
> >given address or something.

I've seen this before if libIIOP is from Orbit.  There is a fix in the RPM on
NetWinder.org I believe.  The shared library links against a static library,or a
set of object file which haven't been compiled with -fPIC.

> In theory, it would be possible for ld.so to do more to help in this situation
> - it could construct an additional PLT stub and redirect the original branch
> through it.  I think this would be a fair chunk of work though.

Actually this is extremely difficult, as it is very difficult to allocate memory
for the PLT stubs, given the way ld-linux.so.2 loads the shared libraries.  It
is impossible to do on the fly, and requires modifications to the tools to
ensure there is space allocated at link time.  If I have to modify the linker to
do that, I might as well modify the linker to convert the reloc to a PLT32 reloc
and avoid the problem all together.

> All that said, from a quick look at the code in the dynamic linker I'm
> not convinced that it is correctly handling "backwards" branches (ie with
> a negative displacement) in non-PIC code.  I'll investigate this more
> thoroughly later.

I don't like the sound of that, I'd like to hear more about this problem.  Can
you fill me in or send me a test case of code you think is broken?  While were
on the topic of broken linkers, the latest binutils linker seems to be broken.
Andrew sent me a test case with behaviour I just don't understand yet.

Scott

--
Scott Bambrough - Software Engineer
REBEL.COM    http://www.rebel.com