Re: X Working!

>I am still unable to get ssh to work.  Complains about controling tty.
>Xterm is also failing to run (but Eterm and gnome-terminal do work). I
>wonder if it is the same problem????

Very possibly.  Do you have /dev/pts mounted, and what are the permissions on
things like /dev/ptmx, /dev/pts and /dev/tty*?

>Lastly, gnome-panel refuses to run with some strange dynamic loader
>error in the IIOP library about not being able to translate to a
>given address or something.

Yep, it seems that libIIOP was compiled without -fPIC.  The dynamic linker
tries to fix up such binaries as best it can (whereas previously it would give
the "BUG IN DYNAMIC LINKER" message) but it's not always possible to fix all
the relocations.  The problem is that dynamic libraries can be loaded over
quite a large address range (especially for applications like gnome-panel that
pull in dozens of libraries) and a non-PIC procedure call can only span a
limited range.

In theory, it would be possible for ld.so to do more to help in this situation
- it could construct an additional PLT stub and redirect the original branch
through it.  I think this would be a fair chunk of work though.

All that said, from a quick look at the code in the dynamic linker I'm
not convinced that it is correctly handling "backwards" branches (ie with
a negative displacement) in non-PIC code.  I'll investigate this more
thoroughly later.

>Also, I am unable to get libtool (from unstable) installed using
>apt-get, something is mucked in the postinst script I think.  Anyone
>else have issues with this?

Nope, seems fine.

Selecting previously deselected package libtool.
(Reading database ... 13900 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking libtool (from .../libtool_1.3.4-2_all.deb) ...
Setting up libtool (1.3.4-2) ...
Configuring libtool...
#

>I will probably make a hack-ored debian package from the Netwinder.org
>XF68_SVGA binary and a working XF86Config file.

Good idea.

p.