Re: Changing from stable to testing.....

On 10/25/2010 09:24 PM, Hendrik Boom wrote:
On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 09:10:09PM -0500, Karl Schmidt wrote:
I did the upgrade from lenny to squeeze without any problems - if you
read the wiki, you are supposed to upgrade apt dpkg and aptitude first -
then the kernel - then distupgrade.

And was your system up and usable during pretty well the entire install?
Except during the reboot for the new kernel, of course.  I'm talking
of network services, such as mail forwarding, NFS service, etc.

I've done that with two production servers going from sarge to lenny on a Sunday night --- of course you have to restart services - a couple services were down for a few minutes while the con-figs were tweaked.

On servers, the right way is to set DNS ttl very low a week ahead of the move. Then set up a new system and move one service at a time. - Draw up a plan and a list ahead of time - save it for next time.

Desk top moves get more complicated..

If so, I'll probably copy the entire system (so I have a fallback just
in case) and then upgrade as above.

It worked - but - there is always some cruft that accumulates - so if you
have time, you might want to bkup your old etc and home - then move to a
new install - migrating configs one at a time. Some of my cruft dated
back to sarge...

On the other hand - with a nvidia card and dual head monitors - kde4 is
amazing - I think we just left windoze in the rear view mirror..

Only one monitor, but I have nvidia on the motherboard.  Looking forward
to it.

-- hendrik

--
!!!>> INCLUDE ALL TEXT IN TECHNICAL SUPPORT EMAIL REPLIES!!!!!!!
Please reply in plain-text mode

The lawyer was about two bubbles off plumb.