Re: nvidia and latest unstable kernel image

On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 08:07:56AM -0500, Seb wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:37:15 -0400,
> lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> > It compiles and works fine on my machine with those headers.
>
> > All you should have to do is:
>
> > apt-get update
> > apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source modules-assistant
> > rm -rf /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel
> > m-a prepare -t
> > m-a a-i -t nvidia-kernel
> > apt-get install nvidia-glx
>
> Thanks a lot Lennart, I've been doing a similar procedure (after
> updating apt and removing the old nvidia stuff as you suggest):
>
> m-a -t -f clean,build,install nvidia
> apt-get install nvidia-glx
>
> and the module builds, albeit with an error I described earlier about a
> *stack-protector file or directory not being found.  But it installs
> fine.  /etc/X11/xorg.conf is also set to use nvidia, as it has since
> several kernels back in my sid system.  However, when booting into the
> new kernel, all I get is a 1 pixel band displayed along the top of the
> screen.  Downgrading to 169.12-1 (which means going back to the old
> 2.6.24-1 Linux kernel), as Jaime suggested, is the only way to get a
> working nvidia in this system.

That's just a warning from the kernel headers.  No idea what that stack
protector thing is about.

As for the one pixel thing, I have no idea.  So far I have seen issues
for some 6100 users and a few 6200 users as well.  Everybody else seems
very happy with the new driver.  One 6200 user installed the 96xx legacy
driver instead which solved their problem entirely (and for a 6xxx card
there really is no reason to be using the newer driver that I know of).

> I use a GeForce 6100 card.  The only report I could find with this 1
> pixel issue is:
>
> http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=115209
>
> I don't understand where the problem is, but I'll try with your exact
> recipe and see what happens!

I am not even sure what the problem looks like personally.  I use a
plain AGP GF6200 card in one machine, and so far it has been just fine.
But that is on i386 not amd64.  I might be able to stick the 6200 in a
64bit machine next week after I transfer a build server at work to a new
machine, after which the old server can become my desktop machine
(athlon 64 3500+) and would end up with the 6200 card in it driving my
two monitors.