Re: nvidia and latest unstable kernel image

On Tue, 15 Jul 2008 08:37:15 -0400,
lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

[...]

> It compiles and works fine on my machine with those headers.

> All you should have to do is:

> apt-get update
> apt-get install nvidia-kernel-source modules-assistant
> rm -rf /usr/src/modules/nvidia-kernel
> m-a prepare -t
> m-a a-i -t nvidia-kernel
> apt-get install nvidia-glx

Thanks a lot Lennart, I've been doing a similar procedure (after
updating apt and removing the old nvidia stuff as you suggest):

m-a -t -f clean,build,install nvidia
apt-get install nvidia-glx

and the module builds, albeit with an error I described earlier about a
*stack-protector file or directory not being found.  But it installs
fine.  /etc/X11/xorg.conf is also set to use nvidia, as it has since
several kernels back in my sid system.  However, when booting into the
new kernel, all I get is a 1 pixel band displayed along the top of the
screen.  Downgrading to 169.12-1 (which means going back to the old
2.6.24-1 Linux kernel), as Jaime suggested, is the only way to get a
working nvidia in this system.

I use a GeForce 6100 card.  The only report I could find with this 1
pixel issue is:

I don't understand where the problem is, but I'll try with your exact
recipe and see what happens!

Thanks,

--
Seb