Re: Intel (s775) Johannesburg DQ35JOE mATX

On 01/23/08 08:39:44PM +0100, Jonas Meurer wrote:
> On 23/01/2008 Steve Dobson wrote:
> > You don't need a backport of the kernel packages.  They are stand alone
> > pieces of software that nothing depends upon and depend on nothing
> > themselves (in the packaging sense; I know the system needs a kernel to
> > run).  You can just down load the kernel packages of your choice.
>
> Even though unstable kernel packages may work in etch, your statement is
> not true in general. Newer kernel needs newer udev at least, and I guess
> that some minimal glibc version is required as well.

Actually the userland requirements have been pretty lax lately. According to
the latest upstream kernel's git udev 081 is required and etch is already
at 105. And just about any glibc should work because both the kernel and
glibc have lots of compatibility to ensure interoperability. Hell there's
not even a glibc version listed in the Changes file.

Jim.