Re: Intel (s775) Johannesburg DQ35JOE mATX

On Wed, Jan 23, 2008 at 05:15:22PM +0100, Gudjon I. Gudjonsson wrote:
>    Sorry for abusing your time but I am going to buy a computer with the
> following ingredients. I am quite worried that I might have to wait for
> half a year for support of some of the chips so I decided to ask first
> if someone has used this (with good or bad experience):
>
> Motherboard: Intel (s775) Johannesburg DQ35JOE mATX

I have only used a few Intel boards myself, but I wouldn't buy one.  I
only buy Asus boards.  There has been a lot of trouble for people with
more than 3GB ram and getting the MTRR cache setup right on intel boards
in the last year, and it has taken a lot of pushing to even get intel to
admit they screwed up their bios, while Gigabyte and Asus had a new bios
within days of being notified of the mistake in intel's reference code.
Not what I would consider a well supported board.  Most affected users
were windows 64bit users who got a very very slow system if they had
more than 3GB ram installed, and linux gets the same slow performance
since the top of ram is not cached and hence very slow.

> Chipset:   Intel Q35 Express

Well intel chipsets are generally very well supported.  They make good
chipsets.

> I am sure the following will work, I think the e1000 driver supports the
> network card.
> CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2,4GHz 1066/8MB s-775

No problem on the CPU.  I just bought one myself I am about to play
with.

> Network card: Intel 82566DM Gigabit Adapter, integrated

Well looking at the 2.6.18 source code from etch for the kernel I see
stuff like:
../rr1/sandbox/linux-2.6/linux-2.6-2.6.18.dfsg.1/drivers/net/e1000/e1000_hw.c: e1000_set_pci_ex_no_snoop(hw, PCI_EX_82566_SNOOP_ALL);
so yes I think the e1000 driver should work on that chip.

The onboard video if you are using it, is a GMA3100 which from what I
can determine requires Xorg 1.3 or higher and 2.6.22 kernel or higher.

So that means you have to use either Etch with a backported kernel, or
testing (or unstable) to get 2.6.22 kernel and new xorg if you want
graphics on the built in video.

I just got this combination, which should work as far as I can tell.  I
will find out soon:
Q6600
Asus P5K
2GB PC6400 ram (2 x 1GB)
Nvidia 8600GT video card

The P5K uses an atl1 network chip, which certainly is supported in
2.6.22 (no idea about 2.6.18 in Etch but that's OK since the machine
will be running unstable anyhow).  Also has a jmicron PATA/SATA
controller which I think should work with my PX760 DVD drive.  I sure
hope so, otherwise I will get a PATA to SATA adapter and use it that
way.