Re: Intel (s775) Johannesburg DQ35JOE mATX

Thanks Lennart (and others) for a very through explanation.

>>    Sorry for abusing your time but I am going to buy a computer with the
>> following ingredients. I am quite worried that I might have to wait for
>> half a year for support of some of the chips so I decided to ask first
>> if someone has used this (with good or bad experience):
>>
>> Motherboard: Intel (s775) Johannesburg DQ35JOE mATX
>
> I have only used a few Intel boards myself, but I wouldn't buy one.  I
> only buy Asus boards.  There has been a lot of trouble for people with
> more than 3GB ram and getting the MTRR cache setup right on intel boards
> in the last year, and it has taken a lot of pushing to even get intel to
> admit they screwed up their bios, while Gigabyte and Asus had a new bios
> within days of being notified of the mistake in intel's reference code.
> Not what I would consider a well supported board.  Most affected users
> were windows 64bit users who got a very very slow system if they had
> more than 3GB ram installed, and linux gets the same slow performance
> since the top of ram is not cached and hence very slow.
The salesman knew this problem but said it was a problem with the 965 chip
but was solved with the Q35 chip. I hope he is right.

About the kernel, I most often end up installing Debian unstable and then
I wait for it to become stable if there are no problems. But on my main
computer I happily use unstable and experimental.

Cheers
Gudjon