Re: uswsusp not detecting swap during Debian testing install

On Thu, Jul 12, 2007 at 01:14:18PM -0500, Seb wrote:
> Thanks so much for this concise and clear summary of partitions!  I'll
> make sure the /home is not primary but logical.  I'll also check into the
> benefits of the LVM setup you suggested.

LVM lets you turn one or more devices/partitions into any number of
drives.  And since LVM doesn't require contiguous space, adding more
space to any drive is simple since you just add to it and it takes it
from whatever free space you have in the LVM.

All machines I setup now are done with software raid1, and then LVM on
top of that.  I haven't had much luck with root on LVM yet (seems to
hard to fix), so I tend to have a 10G partition for a raid1 to use as
root and then the reset as another raid1 used for LVM containing swap
and /home and everything else I want.

There are other partition methods too, such as microsoft's dynamic
partitions, intel's efi (for those few systems with efi support), and
most other architectures use a different format.  Then of course there
is the BSD/solaris/etc system of making slices inside a partition, which
lets them have essentially their own partitions inside a single
partition which helps to work around the limitation of the 4 partitions
on PCs.