Re: uswsusp not detecting swap during Debian testing install

On Thu, 12 Jul 2007 12:25:04 -0400,
lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca (Lennart Sorensen) wrote:

[...]

> As long as swap is larger than ram, suspend should be OK with it.

> Of course it is imposible to have 4 primary partitions if you have any
> logical partitions since the logical partitions all share a primary
> slot.

I don't know much about partition types, so I tried to guess what was
needed by googling and reading what I have in my desktop.  All I know is
that swap needs to be logical, and the Debian installer automatically
guessed that / and /home should be primary.  The ntfs partitions are, of
course, the Vista partitions.

> Is /home by any change logical too?  If not, you probably don't have a
> swap partition since there was nowhere to put it.  There is of course no
> reason /home should be a primary partition anyhow.

Why is there no reason for that?  Anything wrong with setting it primary?

At any rate, there were only about 3 more steps to take during Debian
installation, and although I couldn't read the questions (screen garbled
as described), I just hit RET to accept the defaults.  That seemed to get
me through installation, and even installing GRUB to MBR and recognizing
the Vista OS!  I can boot into any of them without problems now.  It was
hard to find anything related to the problem with uswsusp, but someone
(http://linux.dobeyracing.net/how_to/toshiba_p200_laptop/Linux_on_Toshiba_Satellite_P200.php)
found the problem got solved with kernel 2.6.21 (Debian testing DVD comes
with 2.6.18), so I'm going to try that.

--
Seb