Re: Troubles with debuild since devscripts 2.9.17

"Jean-Luc Coulon (f5ibh)" <jean.luc.coulon@gmail.com> writes:

>> That should be
>>
>> CFLAGS += -fPIC
>>
>> ifeq ($(DEB_HOST_ARCH), amd64)
>>     CFLAGS += -march=k8
>>     CONFFLAGS += --enable-3dnow
>> else
>>
>> Having 12 special cases for all archs and each one adds -fPIC is
>> stupid. Just add it once for all archs. Remeber: It must be set on all
>> archs. Even if they don't (always) give a linker error.
> Well, I've got the debian/rules which is in the cinelerra cvs (svn)
> archive and I've edited it to be able to build it for amd64
> architecture.
> I've not thought about "the others", just for me to be able to compile
> it. And I've added -fPIC because it is *required* for amd64. I dont
> know/dont mind for other architectures.

I've got to check that then. That is a clear violation of policy and
randomly fails (always on amd64, mostly on ia64, less on other archs).

> But the problem was not with this particular setting, the problem was
> in handling the variables: dpkg-buildpackage does, debuild did but
> doent anymore while it should.

I don't see where it does it or why it should. On sarge:

mrvn@frosties:~% grep DEB_HOST =debuild
        $arch=`dpkg-architecture -a${targetarch} -t${gnutarget} -qDEB_HOST_ARCH`;
mrvn@frosties:~% grep DEB_HOST =dpkg-buildpackage
        mustsetvar arch "`dpkg-architecture -a${targetarch} -t${targetgnusystem} -qDEB_HOST_ARCH`" "host architecture"

That's devscripts 2.8.14. If debuild suddenly did set those vars then
that must be relatively new.

>> MfG
>>         Goswin
>>
>> PS: I hope you do have "DEB_HOST_ARCH = $(dpkg-architecture
>> -qDEB_HOST_ARCH)" in there too.
> I know also it is a best practice but is it mandatory?

Afaik that is mandatory if one needs DEB_HOST_ARCH. Note that
dpkg-architecture just passes $DEB_HOST_ARCH back if it is
preset. That allows for overriding for cross compiles.

> Jean-Luc

MfG
        Goswin