Re: Which linux flavor for amd64?

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 12:09:19PM +0200, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:

> >> No DVD/CDs for testing.  Netinstall cds exist, which can grab actual
> >> needed packages from internet.  Discs are usually only made near to
> >> release time, which is at least 8 or 9 months away for etch
> >> (testing).
> >
> > I have just done an etch amd64 install from DVD's built via jigdo
> > (http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/etch_di_beta2/amd64/jigdo-dvd/).
>
> That's from amd64.debian.net and not Debian.

Isn't that primarily a political/legal distinction?  Isn't
and64.debian.net where the AMD64 port for Debian was conceived and
executed?  Isn't it primarily a purely technical matter that Debian, not
that it has accepted AMD64 into the fold, is letting its automated
systems rebuild the entire AMD64 distribution rather than just taking it
over from amd64.debian.net?

It really isn't as if and64.debian.net is as incompatible as a
Debian-derived distribution like Ubuntu, is it?

Or have I badly misunderstood something and is there real cause for
concern?