Re: printing/printers

On Sat, Apr 08, 2006 at 07:12:19AM +0200, Francesco Pietra wrote:
> Unable to get HP Deskjet 5740 printing economically  through CUPS/HPLIP/usb.
> The settings windows does not allow much and the printer uses a lot of ink.
> Therefore, is any other printer branch fully supported on debian etch?
> Printers are cheap while cartridges are expensive, so that i'll not hesitate
> to through the printer away. I am even inclined to buy a scsi printer should
> any be available in Europe. i am always uncomfortable with usb.

USB works fine, we've been running a HP LJ 2200 through USB for over
two years without any problem whatsoever.

> I can not rule out to miss some important settings because i use the specific
> driver for openoffice and all editors, while both kpdf and adobe reader 7 do
> not accept that (and nothing is being written on error log in this case) and
> i have to set "custom printer" to get the printer working.

Get the appropriate PPD for your printer from linuxprinting.org, put it
in /usr/share/cups/model, restart cups and reconfigure the printer
using the PPD you just uploaded. Doing so for a HP LJ 1320 enabled much
more settings for it. Here's your PPD and hints&tips:

  http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=HP-DeskJet_5740

Erik

--
+-- Erik Mouw -- www.harddisk-recovery.com -- +31 70 370 12 90 --