Re: NVidia official driver

On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 09:13:22PM +0200, vitko wrote:
> I'm used to something like

>   make-kpkg kernel-image --append-to-version -v1
>   make-kpkg modules-image --append-to-version -v1
>   cd ..
>   dpkg -i *-v1*deb
>
> Anyway, what is this module-assistant thing for? How can it help me? I
> know it exists, but so far I'm happy with the two lines above. Is it
> worth to learn to use m-a? How can I start?

m-a is great for when you have a kernel-headers (linux-headers now)
package installed for an already build kernel and just want to build the
modules for the existing kernel.  After all you might update the nvidia
drivers without building a new kernel the same day.  m-a does everything
in one step for most cases.

Of course I also don't bother to build my own kernels anymore.  I
haven't bothered since debian went to 2.6 kernels.