Re: rret or rred

On Mon, Sep 18, 2006 at 03:41:06PM +0100, David Goodenough wrote:
> On Monday 18 September 2006 15:12, Wolfgang Mader wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > since this is silly question I only want a short answer.
> >
> > Today I noticed a process using top with the name rred or rret owned by
> > root. It eats up 70% of my cpu. Now he is gone. I can not find him neither
> > with top nor with the systemguard from kde.
> >
> > What is this for an strange process. Do I have to worry the same way users
> > from "the other os" have to?
> >
> > Thank you, W. Mader
> I suspect you were running apt-get update at the time.  This is the process
> that processes the .pdiff files.  It is thus friendly and not a concern.

What are these pdiff files, anyway?  they started showing up with routine upgrades
a month of two ago.  There seem to ba an awful lot of them.  I presume the
Debian repositories are moving to some kind of RCS-like thing with their binary
files, and I am getting a chain of differences.  Is it documented somewhere?

-- hendrik