Re: [SPAM] Re: Installing Intel Fortran Compiler

Jo Shields wrote:
> A J Stiles wrote:
>> On Tuesday 12 September 2006 18:00, João Marcelo wrote:
>>> Hello Everybody,
>>> I'm trying to install Intel Fortran Compiler 9.1.036 on my Debian AMD64
>>> Opteron Box. Unfortunely, i can't use gnu fortran to compile the
>>> application i want (http://www.cpmd.org/), because  it needs the 'Cray
>>> Pointer' extension to Fortran 77 for dynamical memory management.
>>> According
>>> http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-linux.html
>>> doesn't handle the above extension. So I have to use Intel's
>>> compiler, that
>>> is free of charge, but not open source :-( .
>> The latest GNU gFortran has the extensions you need and will produce a
>> 64-bit native executable optimised for an AMD processor, rather than
>> one optimised for an inferior brand of 32-bit processor.
>> You should *never* install *any* software which does not come with
>> source code -- you don't know where it's been.  If the software vendor
>> isn't prepared to show you the source code, that's a clear sign that
>> there is something in there that they don't want you to see.
>> You wouldn't buy a cake that didn't have a list of ingredients on the
>> box, would you?
> I drink a whole lot o' booze, and that never has an ingredients list
Hmmm... Well, here in the US the alcohol per cent by volume is listed,
but, yes, the other ingredients, eg.: hops, barley, wheat, etc., are not.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards       Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        "etch" Testing
dba Iceworm Enterprises, Anchorage, Alaska   User Number 269482
Since 1976 - Over 30 Years of Service.       "Seth" 186667