Re: Installing Intel Fortran Compiler

A J Stiles wrote:
On Tuesday 12 September 2006 18:00, João Marcelo wrote:
Hello Everybody,

I'm trying to install Intel Fortran Compiler 9.1.036 on my Debian AMD64
Opteron Box. Unfortunely, i can't use gnu fortran to compile the
application i want (http://www.cpmd.org/), because  it needs the 'Cray
Pointer' extension to Fortran 77 for dynamical memory management. According
to http://www.theochem.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/~axel.kohlmeyer/cpmd-linux.html
doesn't handle the above extension. So I have to use Intel's compiler, that
is free of charge, but not open source :-( .

The latest GNU gFortran has the extensions you need and will produce a 64-bit native executable optimised for an AMD processor, rather than one optimised for an inferior brand of 32-bit processor.

You should *never* install *any* software which does not come with source code -- you don't know where it's been. If the software vendor isn't prepared to show you the source code, that's a clear sign that there is something in there that they don't want you to see.

You wouldn't buy a cake that didn't have a list of ingredients on the box, would you?

I drink a whole lot o' booze, and that never has an ingredients list