Re: counting scsi hosts

On 05/23/06 02:34:35PM +0200, H. Wilmer wrote:
> Jim Crilly wrote:
>
> >More stuff is configurable without a recompile. If I add/change hardware I
> >don't have to do anything unless it's something required for booting and
> >even then updating my initrd is simple. And I have run into cases where
> >reloading modules will fix things,
>
> Ok, that are advantages to be made use of. But when hardware is not
> about to be changed and it's for a server that should just run the way
> it is reliably, what's the advantage of using modules for things
> required to boot anyway? MOTT, you could not even unload those modules.

Even with servers there's a good chance you'll have to replace hardware
and with the way companies tend to change chipsets and revisions without
changing names it's still safer to just use modules. IMO You don't gain
anything by compiling them in statically. I'm looking at it from the other
direction, with initrd so easy to create, what's the advantage of not using
modules?

Jim.