Re: counting scsi hosts

On 05/18/06 02:41:31PM +0200, H. Wilmer wrote:
> Jim Crilly wrote:
>
> >It seems to be normal, but I'd probably still say it's a bug in the SCSI
> >system. It is possible to reset the number by reloading the scsi_mod
> >module, but you have to umount all of the SCSI filesystems to do that so
> >it's not a great solution.
>
> Unloading the SCSI module is what I did, and the counter is increased
> each time I reload the module.
>
> But there's also the gdth module for the SATA RAID controller,
> generating SCSI devices, which cannot be unloaded unless the server
> could run diskless ...
>

> GH

Reloading a SCSI host driver (i.e. gdth, aic7xxx, etc) will increase the
counter, reloading the SCSI core itself (scsi_mod) will reset the counter
back to zero.

Are you sure you're using gdth for your root? I thought it was just for
SCSI controllers, I didn't know any SATA controllers used chipsets
supported by that driver.

Jim.