amd64 installation

Hi Craig:

I decided to follow your 2nd suggestion (for a non expert like me) to install
permanently ubuntu 5.10, albeit with much regret because I had always loved
the debian environment, people in the first place. I downloaded the ubuntu
*.iso and wrote the ISO 9660 but I forgot to check before the list of
hardware on ubuntu. Well, the Tyan below (Tyan K8WE S2895 nvidia nForce pro
2200 and 2050) is not listed as supported; only older Tyans. Try nonetheless?
Doubtuful with kernel 2.6.12.6 of ubuntu 5.10

On the other hand, Goswin answered my mail below advising (for my particular
needs and capability) to avoid debian <testing> and go to <sarge>. Again a
rather old kernel and thus probably no support to the Tyan mainboard.

The alternative is trying with the debian testing installer (may be by paving
the way through a ubuntu amd64 live CD??) but I strongly rely on Goswin's
indications. But this seems to me the only viable route.

Maybe I am overcomplicating the problem but I halted for a while any trial
until I exit my present confusion.

I hope not to bother all you too much

regards
francesco pietra