Re: please summarize amd64 installation steps

When I did a fresh install of Debian amd64 (couple years ago?) I
booted from a live CD (ubuntu has a 64 bit live CD) and did everything
from there. ie. partition the disk, create a chroot to where you want
the deb root partition, install debootstrap etc and go from there.

If you are that hesitant about doing an installation yourself, why
don't you just download a copy of Ubuntu for amd64. I have computers
running both. the differences are minor, but the installation is
completely painless with Ubuntu, whereas I have never been able to say
that about Debian. With Ubuntu the installation is pretty automated
and lots of things just work ... things that I have to fight to get
working in Debian (realplayer anyone?).

Craig