Re: dist-upgrade sarge to etch

sigi wrote:

Building the nvidia-kernel went fine. But I can't build nvidia-glx. If I try the "dpkg-buildpackage" it

That's not possible. the nvidia-glx and nvidia-kernel packages MUST have matched versions - and the only way to build an nvidia-kernel-source package is from the nvidia-graphics-drivers source package, which generates several packages at once (nvidia-kernel-source and nvidia-glx)

My fault, I built a nvidia-kernel from another nvidia-kernel-source package I downloaded via apt.

Not sure. But it's worth noting that 8756-3+ require XOrg 7 (grab 8756-2 source from snapshot.debian.net)

To prevent problems I tried nvidia-graphics-drivers-1.0.7174 this time, from the stable repositories. But dpkg-buildpackage shows the same errormessages as before:

8<-------------------
dh_link: Compatibility levels before 4 are deprecated.
dh_strip
dh_strip: Compatibility levels before 4 are deprecated.
BFD: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/stbKY8kg: warning: allocated section `.bss' not in segment
BFD: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/tls/st34aXXl: The first section in the PT_DYNAMIC segment is not the .dynamic section
strip: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/tls/st34aXXl: Bad value
BFD: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/tls/st34aXXl: The first section in the PT_DYNAMIC segment is not the .dynamic section
strip: debian/nvidia-glx-ia32/emul/ia32-linux/usr/lib/tls/st34aXXl: Bad value
dh_strip: command returned error code 256
make[1]: *** [binary-common] Fehler 1
make[1]: Verlasse Verzeichnis »/usr/src/nvidia-graphics-drivers-1.0.7174«
make: *** [binary-arch] Fehler 2

Google suggests many things, including RAM problems. Never seen this myself.

I didn't really know what to do with the snapshot.debian.net-package, it had only 2 *.run files in it...?

A debian source package comes as three files - an orig.tar.gz, a diff, and a dsc. You extract the source package using "dpkg-source -x foo.dsc"