Re: dist-upgrade sarge to etch

Hi,

> > And now I made it, to install a 2.6.16-kernel on sarge and nothing bad
> > happened this time... graphics and sound are runnning now.
>
> Can you post your sources.list? Did you have to rebuild your nvidia
> driver again or does Xorg use the nv driver?

I actually use the nvidia-driver. I had build it for the sarge-kernel
2.6.8. and was surprised, that after my new installation of the
2.6.16-kernel there automatically the module nvidiafb was used...
So, I think, that this module now is natively supported by newer kernels..?

My sources.list actually looks like this:

8<------------
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-amd64/debian/ stable main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

#marillat
#deb http://spello.sscnet.ucla.edu/marillat/ sarge main
#deb http://spello.sscnet.ucla.edu/marillat/ sid main
#deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main
#deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ etch main
#deb-src ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
#deb http://spello.sscnet.ucla.edu/marillat/ sid main
#deb http://ftp.debian-unofficial.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free

#nvidia
#deb http://people.debian.org/~rdonald/nvidia unstable/amd64/

#Goswins OO.o
#wget http://www.google.com/url?sa=D&q=http://amd64.debian.net/~goswin/amd64-archive/amd64-archive_0.2_amd64.deb
#http://amd64.debian.net/~goswin/amd64-archive/
# Converted 32bit debs
deb file:///var/lib/amd64-archive sarge main contrib non-free
# Only needed for sarge users (I think)
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian dists/sarge/main/binary-i386/
------------------>8

Actually I did not use dselect or aptitude this time, but only apt-get
with the -t stable, -t testing or -t unstable option. With this
method now all works fine. Aptitude did a mess last time with it's
update!

And to answer your last question:
Up to now I use the stable xserver-xfree86. I didn't try to upgrade to
Xorg, yet. Last time I said aptitude to install Xorg, it wanted to
uninstall almost all my gnome and kde packages and broke it all up.

> This is what I used:
> deb http://spello.sscnet.ucla.edu/marillat/ sarge main

I tried this one this afternoon, but it didn't work.

sigi.