Re: 1U server with 4 SATA ports and a 32-bit PCI slot

Soenke von Stamm wrote:
Am Dienstag, 21. März 2006 11:38 schrieb David Liontooth:
My one remaining question is actually whether I need sound on the
motherboard to record sound via the PCI bus
from the grabber card -- does anyone know? (I'm asking on the v4l list).

The S2865G2NR has no audio, while S2865ANRF does; I'm assuming I need it
to record sound, even if the sound
is taken straight off the grabber card through the PCI bus?
Depends on the quality needed too, I guess. Onboard sound devices tend to have low-quality a-d converters and worse electromagnetic shielding, at least worse than decent hand-picked sound cards. What is it you're going to do with these machines?
They'll be used to record audio/video and closed captioning from broadcast tv. On second thoughts, I don't think I need an audio device on the board at all -- all I want is to record the signal to disk, and surely the audio is relevant only if I want to convert the signal to something I can hear -- and I don't. The saa7134 driver does a great job getting sound directly off the PCI bus.

I'm also planning (should I say hoping) to compress straight to h264/mp3, using a dual-core opteron or athlon64x2. Has anyone tried this from live tv? I haven't had a chance to test this yet with a dual-core; my single-core athlon64-3000 or dual opteron 240 can't keep up. This is of course using the excellent new x264 encoder codec.

Dave