Re: 1U server with 4 SATA ports and a 32-bit PCI slot

Am Dienstag, 21. März 2006 12:23 schrieb David Liontooth:
> They'll be used to record audio/video and closed captioning from
> broadcast tv.  On second thoughts, I don't think I need an audio device
> on the board at all -- all I want is to record the signal to disk, and
> surely the audio is relevant only if I want to convert the signal to
> something I can hear -- and I don't.

Is it so ugly? ;)

> The saa7134 driver does a great job
> getting sound directly off the PCI bus.

So I guess you're talking about analog TV ... no DVB where you live? Must say
I don't even know if DVB is a european-only standard or not.

> I'm also planning (should I say hoping) to compress straight to
> h264/mp3, using a dual-core opteron or athlon64x2. Has anyone tried this
> from live tv? I haven't had a chance to test this yet with a dual-core;
> my single-core athlon64-3000 or dual opteron 240 can't keep up. This is
> of course using the excellent new x264 encoder codec.

Is it excellent already? Last I tried it wasn't :)

No, sorry I don't know. I have DVB-S now and am very happy with it. I
transcode afterwards if I decide to keep a recording.

        Sönke