Re: Can't mount CD/DVD drives

On Fri, Feb 17, 2006 at 12:44:14PM -0800, Andrew Sharp wrote:

> > Unless you have the RAID code compiled into the kernel (not modules) and
> > you are using kernel-based RAID autodetection, the /dev/md* entries are
> > created by mdadm, not by udev (udev can not create them until the array
> > is created, and mdadm needs to create the device first to be able to
> > build the array).
> The raid code doesn't have to be compiled in, it can be modularized in
> an initrd image.  So long as grub can load the kernel and the initrd
> image, you're good to go with whatever modules you want in the initrd
> image.  I believe current versions of grub can do raid0 and raid5 now,
> but, well, you know, test it first ~:^)

This has nothing to do with the fact that if you are not using the
in-kernel autodetection (and autodetection is not available when RAID is
modular), then udev will _not_ create the device nodes, and mdamd has to
create them first. Whether mdadm is run from initrd or after that has no

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences