Re: Can't mount CD/DVD drives

On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 12:28:01 -0800
Andrew Sharp <andy@netfall.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 01:51:54PM -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 08:39:11AM -0500, Carl Brown wrote:
> > >
> > > Would this mess perhaps have something to do with udev/hotplug?
> > > Dpkg says:
> > > rc  udev             0.056-3
> > > ii  hotplug          0.0.20040329-25
> >
> > There was a problem around 2.6.12 days as far as I remember where a
> > bad initrd tool generated initrd images which loaded ide-scsi, and
> > once that is done the initrd tool will make future ones to match
> > your setup.  I think 2.6.15 kernel will force it to not use
> > ide-scsi at all, but I am not sure.
>
> All true.  I was a faithful user of 2.6.12 debian kernel up until
> yesterday.  If you unloaded the ide-scsi, it would at least oops,
> sometimes harmlessly, sometimes fatally.
>
> It sounds like there is some extra step to using debian kernels now?
> It would be nice to get an FYI at least when installing one of these.
> I tried the 2.6.15.x debian kernel yesterday, and it couldn't mount
> root, I think because it wasn't loading the nv_sata module or the
> md/raid1 or something.

My feeling is along the lines of Carl's in that I think it is a udev
issue.

I had a similar problem to you, Andy, with the 2.6.15 kernel and a
RAID1 setup - it could not find /dev/md3 to mount it (/dev/md3 was the
root partition).  It looked like udev had not yet created the device.

Unfortunately I didn't get to experiment much as the box in question,
whilst not mission-critical, could not be off-line for very long or
people would start whining #;-D

I just rolled it back to 2.6.12 to get it back up and running.

Regards,
Ozz.