Re: Can't mount CD/DVD drives

On Thu, Feb 16, 2006 at 10:01:15AM +0100, Gabor Gombas wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 03:45:01PM -0500, Austin Denyer wrote:
>
> > I had a similar problem to you, Andy, with the 2.6.15 kernel and a
> > RAID1 setup - it could not find /dev/md3 to mount it (/dev/md3 was the
> > root partition).  It looked like udev had not yet created the device.
>
> Unless you have the RAID code compiled into the kernel (not modules) and
> you are using kernel-based RAID autodetection, the /dev/md* entries are
> created by mdadm, not by udev (udev can not create them until the array
> is created, and mdadm needs to create the device first to be able to
> build the array).

The raid code doesn't have to be compiled in, it can be modularized in
an initrd image.  So long as grub can load the kernel and the initrd
image, you're good to go with whatever modules you want in the initrd
image.  I believe current versions of grub can do raid0 and raid5 now,
but, well, you know, test it first ~:^)

Cheers,