Re: Can't mount CD/DVD drives

On Wed, Feb 15, 2006 at 07:20:53PM -0500, Carl Brown wrote:

> In the past, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong,
> an initrd image was only required if the system booted from a SCSI drive,
> or had some other exotic arrangement.

That's still true if you build your own kernel (I'm not using an initrd
either). But using a full modular kernel is _much_ easier for
distributions because they need to support every possible HW out there,
and compiling everything into the kernel would make it _HUGE_.

> (This system is booting from an SATA, if that makes a difference.)
> So if one is booting a system that should not require an initrd image, couldn't any
> initrd image be safely deleted, provided the appropriate edits were made to the grub menu file?

What do you mean by "any initrd image"? If you are building a kernel
that does not require an initrd, then you're surely not building an
initrd just for so you can delete it, are you? Distro kernels however do
need an initrd image, so if you want to delete the initrd image, you can
just uninstall the appropriate kernel package entirely.

Gabor

                Hungarian Academy of Sciences