Re: Can't mount CD/DVD drives

On Wednesday 15 February 2006 3:45 Pm, Austin Denyer wrote:
> My feeling is along the lines of Carl's in that I think it is a udev
> issue.

I just found some strong evidence to support the initrd theory. As Erik suggested, I did:

chmod 000 /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.ko

then rebooted.
Imagine my surprise when I saw:

# lsmod | grep ide
ide_scsi               18116  0

When:
# ls -l /lib/modules/`uname -r`/kernel/drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.ko
----------  1 root root 25892 2005-09-27 22:15 /lib/modules/2.6.12-1-amd64-k8/kernel/drivers/scsi/ide-scsi.ko

This proves that the ide_scsi module is coming from somewhere besides /lib/modules/...

In the past, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong,
an initrd image was only required if the system booted from a SCSI drive,
or had some other exotic arrangement.
(This system is booting from an SATA, if that makes a difference.)
So if one is booting a system that should not require an initrd image, couldn't any
initrd image be safely deleted, provided the appropriate edits were made to the grub menu file?

Or more to the point, why did the debian installer set up an initrd image if it was not necessary?
Or if it was formerly required, but no longer required due to kernel changes,
why was there no notification from the upgrade configuration process?

It appears to me that we are indeed "getting hosed by silent changes".

BTW, the optical drives magically became mountable after a reboot,
but they are still acting a bit funny, and I have no idea what "fixed" them.
They are still found at scd* and/or sr* for the moment.

--
Carl Brown
Whitefield, NH USA