Re: Preparing to give 64 bit a shot again on Gateway laptop

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 04:33:51PM -0700, Tannon Weber wrote:
> I've been doing some further reading on the subject since my last
> inquiry, and it looks like I have a Broadcomm wireless chipset.  Crap.
>  Everything that I've found online so far indicates that it won't work
> with 64 bit when trying a wrapper.  Video doesn't seem to be nearly as
> much of a problem, as ATI's support page has the Xpress X600 listed,
> and I think that the chipset itself is theirs, but I'm still trying to
> figure that out.

I have read about some people getting broadcom to work with the x4 bit
windows xp driver in ndiswrapper.  I haven't tried it myself (My wife
has an amd64 laptop with a broadcom, but she is running i386 for now).

The video you can probably make work either way with the fglrx debian
packages that someone maintains.  A google search finds then easily.

ATI chipsets on the other hand in general seem to be a bit of a
nightmare.  The newer the kernel the better the changes.  2.6.8 is an
absolute disaster.  2.6.12 isn't bad.  2.6.15 is supposed to be getting
usable.

> I may just save myself the headache and put 32 bit Linux on it for the
> moment, just so that I don't have to do any extra work for the
> time-being.

Well to avoid headaches you have to avoid ati chips in general when
buying hardware.  At least if you want to run linux.  The support just
isn't there yet.