Re: Preparing to give 64 bit a shot again on Gateway laptop

On 2/2/06, Lennart Sorensen <lsorense@csclub.uwaterloo.ca> wrote:
> There isn't much difference between running 32 or 64 bit.  Hardware
> support is pretty much identical.  If your hardware works with one it
> usually works with the other.  Some programs are not yet available in
> 64bit, but most are.
>
> The main question is, what chipset does the machine use, and is that
> supported.

I've been doing some further reading on the subject since my last
inquiry, and it looks like I have a Broadcomm wireless chipset.  Crap.
 Everything that I've found online so far indicates that it won't work
with 64 bit when trying a wrapper.  Video doesn't seem to be nearly as
much of a problem, as ATI's support page has the Xpress X600 listed,
and I think that the chipset itself is theirs, but I'm still trying to
figure that out.

I may just save myself the headache and put 32 bit Linux on it for the
moment, just so that I don't have to do any extra work for the
time-being.

--
Tannon Weber
tannon.weber@gmail.com