Re: Jumbo Frames?

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 06:26:28PM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
> Err, are you sure? Since all 4 pairs are used, I thought most PHY
> devices were capable of working out which was which by themselves.
> Ie cross-over will be automatically detected.

Most cross over cables only cross 2 pairs and leave the other two pairs
disconnected.  The disconnected pairs are the real problem.  There is a
way to cross all 4 pairs, but most commercially made cross over cables I
have seen are only doing the 10/100mbit pairs.  Most homemade crossover
cables also weren't made for gigabit.  Of course since gigabit seems to
always do auto MDI-X it is much simpler to just use the cheaper straight
cables.