Preparing to give 64 bit a shot again on Gateway laptop

Greetings,

I've acqurired a Gateway MX7525 equipped with an Mobile Athlon 64, and
I was wondering if there are any known pitfalls for either this
platform or for the 64 bit platform in general that I should keep in
mind.  I've already read about problems with 32 bit programs and the
need to chroot them away (specifically browser plugins).  I'd like to
run 64 bit native if possible, but I'm willing to go 32 bit if it's
just not worth it at the moment.

Thanks
--
Tannon Weber