Re: i want to migrate from ide to serial ata

daniele wrote:
> hello
> i have a little question
> now i have two maxtor hard disk ide
> in the first hard disk i have my debian installation
> i want to buy a new hard disk serial ata
> i will use cp to copy my system on the new hard disk, _but what i need
> to do to boot from my new hard disk_?
> my motherboard is a gigabyte k8ns pro socket 754 nforce3
> i found a lot of documetation to install debian to a new hard disk
> serial ata but no documents to migrate debian on new hard disk serial
> ata :-(
> thanks

Here are the steps. These are from memory, so if I forget something I'm
sure somebody else will fill it in.

1. Change your BIOS to boot from SATA first. If at any time during this
process you need to abort, simply change this back and you should be
able to boot your old installation like normal.

2. Boot from a debian CD or some 64-bit live CD. You don't absolutely
_have_ to do this, but it makes some things easier if the source
installation is offline when you copy it. I've omitted a few steps that
would be necessary for copying an online installation.

3. Use cfdisk or a similar program to partition your new disk however
you want.

4. Make new filesystems with mkreiserfs, mke2fs, mkswap, etc.

5. Mount your new filesystems and copy the installation over. Make sure
you use 'cp -a'.

6. Edit your new etc/fstab; change hda to sda, etc.

7. Edit your new boot/grub/menu.lst; change hda to sda everywhere you
need to, including the "DEBIAN AUTOMAGIC" kernels (unless you have a
whole lot of kernels it's easier than mounting everything together,
chrooting, and running update-grub). You shouldn't have to change
anything like (hd0,0) unless you're altering your partition scheme at
the same time.

8. Turn off your computer and unplug your old ATA drive. This is a
safeguard against getting mixed up and overwriting the wrong boot
sector. If you feel you really know what you're doing than you can skip
this step.

9. Boot back up from the CD again.

10. Run grub. At the grub command prompt, type the following. Replace
the numbers with the correct ones for your partitioning scheme. Remember
that grub starts numbering at 0, so /dev/sda3 is (hd0,2).
> root (hd0,0)
> setup (hd0)

11. If that works, then try booting from your SATA disk. If that works,
then plug your old disk back in and make sure your BIOS is still booting
off the SATA.

-Corey