Re: i want to migrate from ide to serial ata

On Wed, 01 Feb 2006 21:22:04 +0100
daniele <daniele.ge@aliceposta.it> wrote:

> hello
> i have a little question
> now i have two maxtor hard disk ide
> in the first hard disk i have my debian installation
> i want to buy a new hard disk serial ata
> i will use cp to copy my system on the new hard disk, _but what i need
> to do to boot from my new hard disk_?

One caution is that you need a fairly recent kernel, 2.6.12 or newer, so that
the sata disk will be recognized.  My first attempt to install on my new
computer could not find the hard disk.  There is a netinstall iso available
with a 2.6.12 kernel that works fine, though.  I guess, though, that if you
are able to mount your new disk to do the transfer, your kernel will be good.

--

David L. Johnson

   __o   | "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored
 _`\(,_  | by little statesmen and philosophers and divines." --Ralph Waldo
(_)/ (_) | Emerson