Re: Install problem on Supermicro X6DHT-G system

On Tuesday 03 Jan 2006 18:44, Stephen Woodbridge wrote:
> This list rocks! Thank you all for the ideas and suggestions. I will
> reinstall tonight and try moving the CD to a master channel and try
> changing the BOIS settings and see if any of these help. I'll report
> back with my findings.
>
> -Steve

You probably do not even need to reinstall anything.  After all, the files are
still there; it's only the names of the drives that have changed.  If you
could somehow persuade the machine that the files are in the new locations,
it would find them.

Power off, move the CD to master, make sure nothing is conflicting with it,
power up straight into BIOS and make the appropriate changes.  In other
words, the stuff you were going to do anyway.  But don't reinstall just yet.

Boot up from your Debian installer CD.  Let it get as far as asking you the
first question  {by which time it will have loaded all necessary drivers},
then press ctrl+alt+f2 for another console.  Make a directory /target  {don't
worry, the root filesystem is on a ramdisk}, and mount the root partition
your hard drive  {note that the debian installer CD uses devfs, so it'll be
something like /dev/scsi/bus0/target0/lun0/part1}  there.  A modern enough
install disc will have a shell with tab-completion, which will help a lot.
Mount any other partitions beneath /target.  Optionally, enable your swap
partition using
# swapon /dev/some/stupidly/long/path
Then
# nano /target/etc/fstab
and change all the drive names appropriately  {your SATA hard disk probably
will be /dev/sda and your IDE CD-ROM will be /dev/hda or /dev/hdc}.  Then
# nano /target/etc/lilo.conf
and change the drive names there too.
Finally,
# chroot /target
{this creates a new root file system; what used to be /target now becomes /
and so forth}
# /sbin/lilo
{this writes the new bootstrap loader code into the MBR.  At boot time, no
drivers have been loaded  [obviously],  not even a file system driver; so the
physical location of the kernel on the disk needs to be hard-coded into the
bootstrap loader, which has to use BIOS calls to load up the kernel.}

IMPORTANT:  press ctrl+D to exit from the chroot; this forces decaching of all
the changes you made while you were inside the chroot.

You should now be able to remove the CD and reboot your system.

--
AJS
delta echo bravo six four at earthshod dot co dot uk