Re: Problems installing on AMD Athlon 64 system

Austin (Ozz) Denyer wrote:

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 15:03:58 -0800, lordSauron
<lordsauronthegreat@gmail.com> wrote:
noooooooooo!!!  another one lost to Gnome!  I really hope you meant
Kubuntu, since KDE is really much nicer than Gnome for people who need
to get something done (working with Gnome is like having your neck
amputated!)

Even Linus himself recently stated that people should use KDE rather
than Gnome.  I won't repeat what Linus called the people behind the
Gnome interface for fear of invoking Godwin's Law #;-D  I have to say
that Gnome has been dumbed down to the point of being virtually useless.

So even Linus seems to think the choice is between KDE and Gnome? :-/
There is a third alternative - use neither and be much more efficient.

Go for icewm or some other simple window manager -
and start X, login, get the window manager
up and running in a few seconds only.  No long
wait for KDE to start (what the heck is it spending time on?
Half a minute on an otherwise nice fast machine? Is it
compiling itself first?)
No insanely stupid "hardware detect" that lock up some machines.
(Why, oh why do a _GUI_ do hardware detection at all?  That is the
job of the kernel - or sometimes the xserver. )

I don't mind the look of KDE, but the startup time (and hangs)
offset any benefit for me.

Helge Hafting